Skip to main content

Dairy Free Oatmeal Raisin Cookies


As most of you know, I recently had a darling baby boy. You may not know that he has a milk/soy protein intolerance and gets extremely gassy and fussy when he gets even a small amount of either. Since I'm breastfeeding that means that I have had to cut dairy and soy from my diet in addition to the many foods I'm already avoiding for my allergies. My diet is so limited and it is really hard because I love food. Especially cheesy, creamy food.

In an attempt to help me feel less restricted and satisfy my sweet tooth I tweaked some recipes and made some yummy oatmeal raisin cookies without dairy(butter). It turned out really well and even though I'm generally a butter purist when it comes to baking, I didn't miss it at all!

Important things to note for this recipe: while some kinds of cookies can get away with just dumping everything in and mixing, oatmeal raisin isn't one of them. It is important to mix the batter-ish portion first & then mix in the oats and raisins. Otherwise it will be super difficult to get mixed enough and you'll get dry clumps. Also, if you use coconut oil like I did you will need to form your cookies into balls before chilling any extra dough. When you refrigerate coconut oil it gets hard and the same goes for the dough. It will not be scoopable after it's been in the fridge for more that 45 minutes.

These cookies are also chewiest and best if you pull them out of the oven when the outside is golden brown and the center is still doughy then let them set up for a couple minutes on the cookie sheet. You must let them set for at least one minute or they will not hold any kind of shape.

Ingredients

1 1/2 cup sugar

2/3 cups brown sugar

1 cup soft coconut oil(may substitute with butter or another oil if desired)

1 tablespoon vanilla

2 eggs

1 1/2 cups flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/2 teaspoon salt

3 cups rolled oats

1 cup raisins

Directions

  • Preheat oven to 375*F. Beat sugar , brown sugar, and oil together in a large bowl until fluffy. Add vanilla and eggs and mix well. Add flour, baking soda, spices, and salt and mix until well combined. Next stir in oats and raisins. 
  • Place rounded tablespoons a couple inches apart on baking sheet. 
  • Bake for 6-8 minutes until edges are golden brown(center will still be doughy). Let set on cookie sheet for a couple minutes before removing to a cooling rack or plate.
  • Scoop any remaining dough into balls and refrigerate or freeze in a bag.
And that's it. All you have left to do is enjoy the chewy yumminess! Let me know how it turns out for you in the comments!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Divine DNA Necklaces for Activity Days

I've had this idea floating around in my head for Activity Days for a long time and I finally got around to doing it this week! For those who don't know, Activity Days is the name of the young girl's youth group at my church including ages 8-11, my group includes 8-9 year olds. Part 1 will talk about the spiritual thought/introduction to the activity, Part 2 will talk about instructions for extracting DNA from cheek cells and putting them in necklace pendants and Part 3 is what I would do differently next time. My DNA in a necklace. Part 1 We started with prayer and then I asked the girls if anyone knew what DNA was. We got a couple answers that were pretty close to what I was going for. I then gave a *very* basic outline of what DNA is; the bullet points I hit on were: *DNA is at the center of every cell in the body & is like an instruction book or blueprint about how our body develops and forms. *We get traits from our biological parents/grandparents/etc..

Kid's Bathroom - Part 1 - Upcycled Towel Rack

My kid's bathroom is boring, completely undecorated and non-functional. There is nothing wrong with boring, but I would like to have a place to hang towels and store bathroom essentials, especially since this bathroom is the one guests use to shower when they visit. I'm making several changes to make it work better and look cute! Boring Bathroom The first thing I'm adding is a towel rack to keep towels off the floor. I had been browsing racks for a while, but couldn't find anything I liked enough to shell out the money that was being asked(I'm cheap). Then I happened to drive by a cabinet in bulk trash near my in-laws house so I borrowed a screwdriver, saved a door from the dump, and started a new project! After cleaning the door & taking it home I went to Hobby Lobby & got some  hooks  and  chalk paint . I've been wanting to try chalk paint forever & this was a small enough project that I wasn't too worried about starting over if I mes

Kid's Bathroom - Part 2 - Floating Shelf Crates

You may have seen the upcycled cabinet door towel rack I made for my kids' bathroom  here . The next project I wanted to tackle was some floating shelves for above the toilet. I started with some plain pine half crates from Joann. They are about 10" x 12" x 5" deep so they weren't too large or deep for my tiny bathroom. Then I grabbed some Minwax Polycrylic in Espresso that I had from a failed project I tried a couple years ago, a foam brush, newspapers, and lots of paper towels. I laid out my newspapers and started brushing on the Polyshades. I went one side at a time and completely covered it before wiping it off with a paper towel. You will probably want to use gloves for this portion. I ended up with really sticky hands and I got a splinter in my finger when I was wiping stain from between the slats. Gloves would have solved both of those issues, ha! one side coated with polycrylic after wiping off polycrylic As you can see it's no